Sunday, August 22, 2010

8 22 10 Bass Harbor, Maine Discovered by accident. Better than Bar Harbor

As we were leaving Maine I commented to Sandrea that I was kind of disappointed because I had remembered Bar Harbor being so much more picturesque and quaint.  When I had left Bar Harbor in 1976 I had made a promise to myself that I would return someday.
I couldn't believe how much it had changed in 30 years.  I had remembered it as a quaint fishing village (and had slides to prove it) and I was seeing just a Port Tourist Trap--not too different from Morro Bay or local California Beach Towns.  I couldn't believe how much things had changed or how maybe my travels all over the world had made me jaded.

THEN------Something made me make a left turn down a little side road.  As I turned I said to Sandra, "I've just got to try just one more road."  And there it was!!!!

There was the little fishing village I had so fondly remembered and captured on slides in 1976.  It had hardly changed.  It wasn't Bar Harbor I had remembered so fondly at all. It was Bass Harbor.  And I couldn't believe that I had turned down that last road.  I don't know what made me do it.  I was esctatic.  NOTHING had changed in this town except it had added a quaint little restaurant and the picutresque wooden lobster traps were now a not so picturesque metal, but other than that it was the same.
And at the quaint little restaurant we ate reasonabley priced fresh lobster for at least the fourth time in three days.  I must say, you just can't beat fresh Maine Lobster and the reasonable Maine prices for lobster..

No comments:

Post a Comment